Founded in 1920 and headquartered in Kingsport, Tenn. (USA), Eastman is a FORTUNE 500 company with approximately 10,500 employees that manufacture and market more than 1,200 products.
Challenges & Issues
- Reduce reactive maintenance
- Harness operators' critical knowledge of machine conditions
- Forge a reliability partnership between operations and maintenance
Poor communications pathways between operations and maintenance staff meant that valuable knowledge about machine conditions was getting lost in the shuffle, increasing the need for unplanned maintenance. Meridium's Operator Rounds module gave operators an easy and effective means to share knowledge and inspection data with maintenance and become important contributors to the reliability effort.
- Reduced reactive maintenance costs by 40% in less than one year.
- Increased equipment uptime due to fewer breakdowns.
- Improved the ability to gather and share critical information between teams.
- The resulting cultural change took reliability efforts enterprise-wide.
“Our program objective has two solutions to it: The technical solution, focusing on tools and technologies, and ... managing that cultural part, trying to get cultural acceptance of these new tools and technologies."Steve Powers Eastman Chemical